Monday, June 16, 2008

A Proud Bangladeshi in Pakistan


Apko kia pata, ke humara dil apke liye kitna rota hai. Jab aap logo ko koi taklif hota hai to humain lagta hain k taklif humain ho raha hai. Bohot pyar karte hai hum aap se. alag ho gaye to kya hua. Bhai to bhai hota hai. Bangladeshi to humare bhai hai.”
Rafe, 60-something, Bus-driver, Lahore

I’ve met people from different parts of the world and traveled to several places myself. But never, not once, in any of my interactions or travels, have I ever come across a race of people who made me feel so proud of my nationality: Bangladeshi. But then, I visited Pakistan. I was born in an independent Bangladesh. I’ve never had to struggle to get my voice heard, I was allowed to vote (till quite recently) and I’m allowed to speak my mind. Until my trip to Pakistan, I had never realized how precious all these things are. I had always regarded Pakistan, a distant country, as a bitter chapter in our history. But only after meeting the people did I realize how close we could be and how much my heritage means to them. I've never received so much respect for just being a Bangladeshi.

Till quite recently, I had never visited Pakistan. Neither had my parents. Since the only Pakistanis I’d met belonged to the educated bourgeoisie class, I had assumed that it was only this select lot who were aware of the atrocities committed in 1971. I had always believed that most Pakistanis believed that Bangladeshis were Kafirs who had let India take them over and regarded us with disdain. Don’t ask me why I thought all of this or what explanation I have for my notions. My notions had stemmed from the prevalent attitude of our pro-liberation buddhijibis, who have, through their own glorifications of our War of Liberation, somehow equated patriotism as anti-Pakistani feeling and instilled that in some of us. In fact, I still know people who think that to be a true patriot you would have to hate Pakistan, with all its institutions and people. Our elders in Bangladesh, somehow always let us think that Pakistanis don’t care about Bangladesh. I’m not blaming them for my ill-conceived ideas. I was partly to blame for judging a whole race simply on the basis of the half-truths I had heard. I am not proud of what I thought. But my recent trip to Pakistan has made me feel proud of who I am and I am proud of my newly acquired views. Though I think that I now face the threat of being termed a ‘paki-lover’ or ‘Rajakar’, I am writing this because I think that our generation needs to know the other side of the story.

To be perfectly honest, upon our arrival at Islamabad, since the very first people we had met were bureaucrats, I didn’t buy into the whole “Pakistani-Bangladeshi bhai bhai” ideology they seemed to desperately convey to us. To me it seemed too forceful, too elaborate and too far removed from what we in Bangladesh have been led to believe about Pakistani attitude towards Bangladesh. If every shop-keeper, hotel-boy, porter, flight-attendant, bus-driver and almost everyone else I had met hadn’t echoed the same sentiments, I probably never would’ve believed that Pakistani people actually believe that we are still their brothers and they love us. It’s love that is rooted in our shared history, in our present day struggles to make our mark in this world, our efforts to rise above poverty and frustration at watching our neighbors grow at exponential rates as we combat the demons of corruption and bad governance.

“There are so many things we need to learn from Bangladesh. In fact, I personally think that your Caretaker Government system is very effective and we’re trying to emulate that”, an Additional Secretary told the ten-member media delegation from Bangladesh. Nothing was said, but their admiration for our achievements, including in establishing democracy and keeping it for 15 years, was apparent. In Karachi, an official of the Press Information Department under their Ministry of Information regaled the success of our homegrown micro-credit formula and it’s award-winning success. As far as the bureaucracy of Pakistan was concerned, everywhere we went we were greeted by praise and accolade. Even with 106 licensed private TV channels and 60 on-air channels, the Government of Pakistan marveled at how the journalists in Bangladesh are better trained and more sensitized. In a country where GEO News was closed down for violating State of Emergency rules, the Bangladeshi media received accolade from the Pakistani media for the courage demonstrated and the torture survived. In a media world now free of ‘press advise’ from intelligence agencies or foreign ministries, they marveled at the openness of our media. Peshawar Press Club gave the media delegates a reception and Express News threw a dinner. I am told that this is commonplace for all delegates from Bangladesh visiting Pakistan. But it most certainly wasn’t commonplace for me. No one had ever told me that this how much respect these people have for us. All I have learnt from the learned, well-versed editors of our progressive newspapers is that Pakistan, the monsters who had killed our people in 1971 is now a failed nation. They forgot to mention the people of Pakistan, the warmth and hospitality they extend to all visiting Bangladeshis and the love and respect they still have for us. They never taught us how to help them or how to become friends with Pakistanis. Ulta, this was frowned upon. We weren’t told about how much they crave our friendship.

I had always believed that the atrocities committed in1971 by the Pakistani Military Hanadar Bahini, the genocide and the rapes would be a taboo topic for us in Pakistan. Taboo not just on the account us being invited by the Pakistan Government, but also because I had believed the Pakistani version of the events of 1971 to be different from ours. Therefore, you can imagine my shock when everyone I met mentioned our Liberation War (mind you, not the “Fall of Dhaka”) as ‘mistakes made by us in 1971, that shouldn’t have happened and we wish they hadn’t happened’. Rafe chacha, the man who drove our bus said to me, ‘beta, Bhutto ne jo kia, bohot galat kia. Mujhe to ootni talim bhi nahi hai, par itna to mujhe bhi pata hai’. Roughly translated, he meant that despite his lack of formal education, even he was aware of the atrocities committed by Bhutto (not just Yahya Khan, the executioner, but also the dictator) in 1971. Later on, he even explained to me how now that all of Pakistan is racially divided; they understand how Bangladesh must have felt. Rafe chacha even said to me how the people of Pakistan feel that political leadership in Bangladesh is much stronger than in Pakistan. ‘ Benazir Bhutto jo thi, wo bhi zamindar ki beti thi. Oon ko kia pata k 3 din se mere ghar mei atta nahi hai. Aap k muluk mei to kitne acche admi hai, leaders hai. Humai aaj take k bhi sahi admi nahi mila. Aap ka jo dr.yunus hai, un ho ne garib o k barei mei socha, kuch kia. Humare yaha ek bhi aisa admi nahi mila’, he remorses. He said he echoed the sentiments of the rural working class who are always struggling to survive the repeated onslaughts the political turmoil of the country. The ups and downs of power-play-who wins the elections or who looses, really never affects the common man. He knows that politics is not for him. He knows regardless of who wins the election, if there ever is one, at the end, he looses. Successive regimes have only helped to widen the rich and poor divide and people like Rafe chacha seek a program like micro-credit to improve their financial conditions. There are millions like Rafe chacha who would benefit from the models developed by our NGOs and civil society organizations that help the grassroots people. Even a PID official admitted that Sheikh Hasina is his favorite South Asian leader because she stands for the common man. The sectarian violence, the non-homogenous population and the increasing rich and poor divide has helped people like Rafe chacha and the likes of him realize and empathize with our plights pre-71. We, as Bangladeshis, as an independent, sovereign nation, with our certain successful social organization models are now in the capacity to help them and save them from the fate we had suffered.

“Baji aap Bangladesh se hai? Arre kia baat hai. Phir to aap hamare mehman hai. Aap ko kia pilau? Paani yia Cola? Aap meri puri dukan le jao koi masla nahi. Mehman hai aap humare’. I got tired of hearing these lines. I heard the same lines in Islamabad, in Murree, in Karachi and even in Peshawar. A pukhtun shopkeeper abandoned his shop in the evening, in a jomjomat bazaar just to show a few lost Bangladeshi journalists the way to another bazaar. In fact, the Pathans made these guys have dinner with them, saying that Bangladeshis were not just guests but brothers. I think I had ever received so much love and respect anywhere else in the world, for simply being Bangladeshi. Everywhere I went, everyone I met, somehow managed to show this chit of a Bangladeshi girl, with her uncovered head and bare arms, an amazing display of camaraderie and respect. I really don’t know what I have in common with the man from Waziristan who dragged my luggage across the streets of Saddar in Peshawar or the teachers of Peshawar University who were going berserk trying to find an old picture of my grandfather which could’ve been anywhere in Pakistan. They didn’t have to do any of that. They are not answerable to any government, theirs or mine. They didn’t know me. They belong to a different nation, a different culture and an altogether different world. But somehow, they were able to relate to me before I could relate to them. They called me a sister even before I would consider them friends. They made the first move, they extended their hand of friendship and their love and hospitality. They gave me love because they believed that their leaders had wronged us in ’71, but we have survived and grown stronger, and more successful than them. We have greater literacy rates and more female participation in all sections of the socio-economic system. From Islamabad to Peshawar and in Karachi, all they gave us was love and respect and all they wanted from us was knowledge. They humbly expressed remorse for 1971 for the actions of the Pakistani military. In every action of theirs, I saw a call for help and solidarity. I felt that this nation, once so known to our forefathers, now completely alien to us, needs us to cooperate with them, help them up, just like one brother (even an estranged one) would help another. They made me feel strong and powerful. They made me feel proud of our achievements—all the things that we take for granted at home. This wasn’t the kind of pride you feel when you defeat another team in cricket or when you realize someone else is worse off than you. This was the first time in my life a foreign country and people, by their own good actions, had made me feel so proud of my Bangladeshi heritage.

In war-ravaged NWFP, where the local government is still struggling to accommodate the refugees, ensure minimum security and attain a minimum standard of living for its entire populace, we were perhaps best received. The governor of NWFP, Mr. Owais Ghani only reinstated Pakistan’s new attitude towards Bangladesh, ‘Let us not be prisoners of our past. Let us learn from our past and now look forward’.

In my humble opinion and still limited purview of the world, I feel that Bangladesh and our hard-earned independence have been vindicated. We have proven to Pakistan, home to our military oppressors and bloodthirsty dictator of 1971, that we have survived and we’ve only gotten better. Now, it’s time to show them just strong we are by sharing some of our strengths with them and helping them out in their struggles.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. If we now close our doors to Pakistan, we will be shutting out a friend. The people of Pakistan have nothing but respect for Bangladesh. They want to learn. They want to know. But what will be our call? Will we play into the hands of those who have used the sentiments of 1971 to progress their own vested interests or should we promote our inherently peaceful and progressive way of life to a nation that looks up at us with hope and an offer of friendship. Again, at the risk of being labeled, I dare suggest that perhaps, it’s time to call truce and move on. We will never forget 1971, but then taking pride in our history should not be analogous to hating the people of another country, who were also victims of their circumstances and military oppressors.





13 comments:

Ahmed Bhuiyan said...

Interesting read, am glad you were surprised by something...for once it seems :P

Fariha said...

thanks ahmed...oh and i've surprised myself!

Fariha said...

there's more here

http://www.drishtipat.org/blog/2008/06/17/a-proud-bangladeshi-in-pakistan/

Anonymous said...

Dear Fariha,

I really appreciate your views and like to thank you for sharing your views about Pakistan. If we belive in humanity than we should serve humanity irrespective of Race, Language and Religion and this is what our life is meant for. May you always be happy and healthy!

Raza Rumi said...

many thanks for the comments at Jahane Rumi

Please leave a link:
http://www.razarumi.com/2007/05/05/dhaka-by-degrees/

Anonymous said...

Isha Khan (ishakhan.wordpress.com)

I think the Pakistanis may not need to copy Grameen Bank as they have a wonderful organization of their own like Edhi Foundation:

“Edhi foundation is the most trusted name in Pakistan when it comes to relief work within distressed areas in Pakistan and the rest of the world.

Edhi foundation is a Non Profit organization that has been in the business of providing social services like medical care, emergency services, air ambulances, burial services, mental habitats, old homes, child welfare services, abused women safe houses and training facilities for the disadvantaged..

Edhi’s founder is Abdul Sattar Edhi who established the first clinic in 1951 (http://www.edhifoundation.com/)”.

http://www.edhi.org/profile.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edhi_Foundation

Anonymous said...

jumped skipped and hopped here from a blog and as a pakistani its really great to see that you actually understood the sentiment is genuine. in moments of honesty, even india seems like a rival sibling- one that you hate but connect to in any case and i do think that if we as counties could just lay the past to rest- make peace with it- we can go so so far. Pakistan has always been victim to a bad leadership but we know a good example when we see one. Great article!

BaronF said...

Great insight, it's made me less apprehensive about visiting Pakistan as a Bangladeshi. Solidarity makes for a better world!

Unknown said...

It is a shame that it needed helpless desperate Pakistanis to make you feel proud of your Bangladeshi heritage. If you had to travel to Pakistan and meet ordinary people to realize that in this post-colonial neo-liberal world, the common man is the but of the joke than you should keep up with your readings.

I don't know which Buddhijibis you talk about, but anyone same in Bangladesh will tell you that it is individuals that are evil, never the mass. And you admit that you always thought most Pakistanis think Bangladeshis are kafirs, I think they would definitely think exactly that if most of Bangladesh were non-muslims. I don't hate Pakistan but your gross generalizations about Bangladeshi sentiments are wrong. In fact, you would find as many Pakistani sympathizers in Bangladesh as haters. But, can one really blame the Bangladeshi who was raped for hating her rapists.

Irrational clan feelings are wrong and it's a fine line between patriotism and jingoism. They exist everywhere, so why blame Bangladeshis? If the roles were reversed you would probably find worse reaction from Pakistan.

The world is one family and we should always reach out to others and resolve our differences, and not just because a group of people are remorseful. There is a lot Pakistan needs to do and ordinary Pakistanis need to take matters in their own hands; in fact so do Bangladeshis. We are in no paradise in Bangladesh. Our politicians are as bad though we did not inherit an elitist Muslim league and out of touch aloof politicians, we do have quite a few of our own.

Before Pakistan can expect other neighbours to help them, they must stop harboring terrorists. The ISI must not breed hate and encourage fundamentalists in Bangladesh. Pakistan must end friendship with Nizamis and Syedis and more importantly, Pakistan should at least once publicly apologize for 1971.

Anonymous said...

Fariha, sweetheart, our love for bangladeshis is genuine.

Lots of love,
Bangladesh zindabad.

http://reformistani.wordpress.com

amna tariq shah said...

Hi

I am Amna from Peshawar, Pakistan. I just read through your post, about your visit to Pakistan. It was a wonderful read! I just wanted to add something. I believe that Pakistanis have nothing bitter for Bangladeshis. We know that those who oppressed the East Pakistanis were not only the enemies of Bengalis but of the entire nation. India, but played only a little role in Bangladesh movement, most of it was set up through the ill-treatment of 1971 leadership of the West Wing. I just want to say that our enemies and friends are the same, then why can't we join hands and forget about the bitter past. We share a history of struggle under the 1947 independence. And above all we are united through Islam - we are Muslim Ummah.

Omer said...

Aoa Fariha,

Thanks for writing this wonderful piece; it brought tears to my eyes;
it certainly captures the true sentiment of ordinary Pakistanis
towards our Bangladeshi brothers.

I myself belong to a post 1971 generation, but yet my heart throbs to
greet someone from Bangladesh. I still root for them whenever, they
are playing against India, Srilanka, and sometimes even Pakistan :)
May be their victory helps to heal the wound that Pakistani rulers
inflicted on them.

May be it is the still unfinished goal of forming a modern Islamic state that
our ancestors dreamt of together; that still bonds us to Bangladesh.

Just wanted to tell all the people in Bangladesh that brothers are still
brothers even if they live in separate homes.


Best wishes,
Omer

Mohammad Murtaza said...

http://omarulhaq.wordpress.com/2009/06/19/a-bangladeshi-in-pakistan/#comment-2076

just realised that this repost of your article has more comments - thought in case you didnt know, you may like to read them.

great article btw! I just have one Bangladeshi friend and tho he's really chill about Pakistan, I'd always noticed how he'd be uncomfortable answering by base question: how do bengalis see us? This article was huge help :)